The Georgian rectory, which stands in the north eastern corner of the gardens dates from 1773 but has been altered and extended since. It is named Chute House after the Rev. Anthony Chute, vicar of St. Michael’s church from 1938 to 1947. The gardens and the rectory were bought by Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council in the early 1970s.
Basingstoke Multicultural Forum (BMF), a charitable organisation and community ‘umbrella’ has acquired the management of Chute House for community and commercial benefit. We aim to provide a much needed hot-desking, meeting and training space for the community along with creating a platform for diversity, community development and learning. The BMF believes this will assist in creating a cohesive, engaged and prosperous future for the wider borough as a whole.